You are here


  • I received a Federal Jury Summons in the mail, what should I do next?
    1. Fill out EITHER the juror questionnaire and return it to the listed Court address OR follow the instructions on the packet to log into eJuror and fill out the questionnaire. *
    2. Follow the instruction on the Summons, call the listed phone number each night after 5pm CST. Note: you will need your juror participant number to know if you are required to report the next day. **
    3. IF the recording on the phone number tells you to report to your divisional office you are legally required to do so. There are penalties for noncompliance. Jury duty is an important part of each citizens civic duty.



    * All citizens are required to comply with Jury Summons. Noncompliance can be punished by a fine up to $1,000, three days imprisonment, or ordered to community service or any combinations of the three. (28 U.S.C. §1866 (g))

    ** Reporting to jury duty without being asked will not excuse the prospective juror from service, and they may be required to report again.


  • When appearing for Jury service, where do I park?

    In Memphis, you will park in the Mud Island River Park Garage (Premium Parking P2705)

    In Jackson, there is parking located within walking distance of the Courthouse.

    Additional parking instructions will be given when you are required to report.


  • I am scheduled for a vacation or am otherwise unavailable.

    If you have a vacation, job conference, etc already scheduled for the time you are required to report for jury service, please let us know preferably by email or phone the office.  Include your name, participant # and time you are unavailable for reporting.

    You may be allowed up to 5 days during the month you are scheduled to report.  If you need longer than 5 days please make a deferment request.  We will reschedule you for another month and you will receive new paperwork for the deferred month.

    Either of these request may be made in the “Remarks” section of the questionnaire or email: or call 901-495-1500.

  • I request to be excused from Jury service.

    If you are a full-time (not part-time) student, please provide proof  (transcript or letter from bursar’s office) indicating your status as a full-time student.  You may fax information to 901-495-1214 or email to

    If you have a medical condition which prevents you from serving, please fax or email a note from your doctor indicating your inability to serve.  Be sure include your participant number on paperwork.  Fax 901-495-1214 or email

    If you have transportation issues, you will not be automatically excused, this request is taken under advisement on a case-by-case basis.

    You will receive notification that your request has been granted or denied.

  • I am over the age of 70 or the Named Juror is deceased.

    If you are over the age of 70 and do not wish to serve, mark the questionnaire #14 Option 1.  You will receive notification from the jury office that you have been excused.

    If you have received a summons for someone who is deceased, in the “Remarks” section on the questionnaire write DECEASED and date of death; return in the envelope provided.

  • I've moved from the address listed on the summons.

    If you have moved out of the district, please complete the questionnaire, either by mail or online and include your new address.  Your profile will be updated you’ll receive notice that you have been excused.

  • I've lost or misplaced my summons.
    If you have lost or misplaced your jury paperwork, you may email the jury office for new documents at  or call 901-495-1500.  Please include your name as it appeared on the summons and your address.If you have lost or misplaced your jury paperwork, please include your name as it appeared on the summons and your address.
    You may also view sample Jury letters below:
  • If I am not selected to serve on a trial what happens next?

    Jurors are told before leaving the courthouse whether they will have to report back, are excused until further notice, or are permanently excused. You should not be called back for minimum of two years.

  • What happens if I don't report for Jury duty?

    The law provides that any individual who fails to appear for jury duty when summoned, and who is not excused by the court, must be required to appear before the court and show cause as to why he or she should not be held in contempt of court. Contempt penalties range from a fine of $100 to three days imprisonment, or both (See 28 U.S.C. § 1866(g)).

  • How did you get my name?

    Both grand and petit Jurors are selected at random from the voters registration list obtained form the counties in the Western District. Lists are gathered every four years after the general election.